Friday, April 7, 2017

[Review] A Creed in Stone Creek by Linda Lael Miller

A Creed In Stone Creek by Linda Lael Miller
Series: Montana Creeds, #5

Synopsis 

When single attorney Steven Creed becomes guardian of an orphaned five-year-old boy, he trades his big-city law firm for a ranch near his McKettrick kin in the close-knit community of Stone Creek, Arizona. Taking care of little Matt and fixing up his run-down ranch house with its old barn loosens something tightly wound inside him. But when Steven takes on the pro-bono defense of a local teen, he meets his match in the opposing counsel – beautiful, by-the-book county prosecutor Melissa O-Ballivan. It’ll take one grieving little boy, a sweet adopted dog and a woman who never expected to win any man’s heart to make this Creed in Stone Creek know he’s truly found home. 

My Review

First, I want to say that I’ve read quite a few books by Miller and I’m a fan of her work! However, I’m a bit undecided how I feel about this book. It took me a while to get through this one – though I think it had more to do with just having a baby than the book itself – but I also found myself not running to pick it up any time I had a free minute. I did enjoy the book while reading it and thought it was a cute story. I’m always a sucker for single dads – I’m not sure what it is about them, but I find them so endearing! Plus this story had the added benefit of legal issues, and since I went to law school and have my law license, it was a nice element! 

That being said, this book didn’t grab me like other stories have previously. The characters were very likable, but I wasn’t in love with them, except Matt (he’s adorable!). I think this book focused too much on the legal issues going on with some of the minor characters in the community, and not enough on Melissa and Steven’s relationship. They didn’t seem to have enough time to get to know each other and all the feels weren't really there for me. 

Even though this wasn’t my favorite book, I still enjoy Miller’s work and will continue to read it.

No comments :

Post a Comment