Sunday, July 7, 2013

While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty

While I'm Falling by Laura Moriarty
Publisher: Hyperion
Publishing Date: 2009
305 Pages

Synopsis

Ever since her parents announced that they're getting divorced, Veronica has been falling. Hard. A junior in college, she has fallen in love. She has fallen behind in her difficult coursework. She hates her job as counselor at the dorm, and she longs for the home that no longer exists. When an attempt to escape the pressure, combined with bad luck, lands her in a terrifying situation, a shaken Veronica calls her mother for help - only to find her former foundation too preoccupied to offer any assistance at all.

But Veronica only gets to feel hurt for so long. Her mother shows up at the dorm with a surprising request - and with the elderly family dog in tow. Boyfriend complications ensue, along with her father's sudden interest in dating. Veronica soon finds herself with a new set of problems, and new questions about love and independence.

My Review

My mom had this book and enjoyed it so she passed in on to me, so I figured I would give it a try. It's been sitting on my shelf for quite some time. I read For the Rest of Her Life by Ms. Moriarty as well, so I hoped I would like this one too! Not surprisingly, I did :) This book deals with issues surrounding divorce, and I'm always intrigued by how people handle it. Maybe its because I'm an attorney that works in family and divorce law, or maybe it's just because I know so many people that have gone through this. Either way, I enjoyed this story. Veronica tries so hard to accept her parents divorce and move on. But slowly, things start going wrong; she can't concentrate, she is having troubles with her boyfriend, and is falling behind in school. We can all relate with the problems she's having. But soon, her mom shows up at her dorm and desperately needs her help. Veronica doesn't really know what she can do, but tries anyways, because her mom doesn't have much after the divorce. Veronica is struggling with growing up, while her mom struggles to move past a divorce. It's an interesting story about a mother and daughters bond and friendship, I recommend it! It was a fast read, too; I read it in 2 days (:


Buy on Amazon           Buy on Barnes and Nobles

2 comments :

  1. Sounds interesting, I always enjoy books about the mother/daughter bond. Such a complicated relationship!
    PS - congrats on graduating and the new job :)

    BookishTrish @ Between the Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! (:

      I really enjoy reading books about the mother/daughter relationship as well! Most of the time when I read about them, it makes me incredibly thankful my mom and I are so close! i can't imagine what I would do if we weren't that close. She's my best friend, and I wish everyone else had that kind of relationship with their moms/daughters

      Delete