Sunday, March 8, 2015

[Review] Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
Series: Burn for Burn, #1
Publisher: Simon Teen
Publishing Date: Sept 18, 2012
Format: paperback, won
354 Pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N
Goodreads rating: 4 stars


Synopsis 

Postcard-perfect Jar Island is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors at night, where parents can sleep easy, knowing their daughters are tucked away safe and sound in their beds. 

But bad things can happen, even to good girls . . . and sometimes, the only way to make things right is to do something wrong. 

Lillia used to trust boys, but not anymore. Not after what happened this summer. And she’ll do whatever it takes to protect her little sister from the same fate. 

Kat is over the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes made at her expense. It all goes back to one person--her ex-best friend. Someone needs to teach her a lesson, and, with Lillia and Mary behind her, Kat feels up to the task.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she’s not the same girl anymore. Now that she’s got friends who have her back, he's going to be in big trouble.

Three very different girls who come together to make things right. Will they go too far? 

My Review

I won this book in a giveaway last year from SimonTeen and it's taken me a while to get around to it. I have to say, I enjoyed it more than I originally thought I would! I didn't know too much about the book, other than high schoolers wanting revenge, and that was definitely the main point of the story. 

To be honest, I'm not usually a fan of revenge-type stories. I don't know what it is about them, but they're usually not what I go for. In this case, I didn't really agree with why two of the girls wanted revenge on their classmates. Mary's story made me mad and I felt really bad for her, but I don't think the other girls needed revenge. Maybe it's because I feel like you're stooping down to the other person's level? I feel like people need to be the bigger person a lot of times. 

That being said, I do think revenge stories can be very well done and this was no exception. And as much as I might not agree with why Kat and Lillia wanted revenge, I enjoyed the book! It was fun getting to know each of these characters and brought me back to my high school days (wow, that feels like a lifetime ago!). This story really kept my interest and I did want to find out what happened to each of the characters. Mary was definitely my favorite character out of the three main girls. I'm not sure if I'll read the next in the series. I'm interested in finding out what happens, but it might be more of a library read for me, not necessarily a purchase.

No comments :

Post a Comment