Monday, March 18, 2013

Body Surfing by Anita Shreve

Body Surfing by Anita Shreve
Publishing Date: April 2007
Publisher: Little, Brown and Co.
ISBN 13: 9780316059855
291 Pages


Synopsis

At the age of twenty-nine, Sydney has already been once divorced and once widowed. Trying to regain  her footing after this tragic double blow, she answers the ad of a couple seeking a tutor for their teenage daughter and ends up spending the summer at the cottage of the Edwards family on the stunning New Hampshire coast.

No sooner does Sydney settle into the household routine - acting as something between a servant and a family member - than the Edwardses' two grown sons, Ben and Jeff, show up for a weekend. Ben is a real-estate executive, Jeff is a professor. Both are handsome, both are accomplished, both are competitive. And both seem completely enraptured by Sydney.

As the weeks pass in this seaside idyll, Sydney enters a strange love triangle, infused with old rivalries and bitter secrets she can only guess at. And she begins to fear that the brothers' competition  for her affections could tear apart their family - and the fragile existence she has painstakingly rebuilt.

My Review

I have to say, I was a little disappointed with this book. After reading Eden Close, I thought I would be in for another great read by Anita Shreve. The beginning was a little slow, but I kept reading to see if it would pick up and get more exciting. About halfway through the book, there was a little more going on, and I started to really like it. But then it just went back to a slow story line. It just didn't keep me really entertained like I was hoping. However, on that note, I still really love Anita Shreve's writing style. She describes things so eloquently that I can picture everything. When I read her books, they almost have a calming feel to the writing and I really enjoy that aspect!


Buy on Amazon             Buy at Barnes and Nobles

3 comments :

  1. Thanks for the follow. . .now following you back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following my blog and I came to follow you back!!! I am love the name of your blog and I think its coming along perfectly!!

    have a good day!

    Tt @ NeverEndingStoires

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Glad you stopped by! Hope you enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete