Thursday, October 31, 2013

[Review] The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve

The Pilot's Wife by Anita Shreve
Publisher: Back Bay Books (Little, Brown)
Publishing Date: 1998
293 Pages


Synopsis 

A pilot's wife is taught to be prepared for the late-night knock at the door. But when Kathryn Lyons receives word that a place flown by her husband, Jack, has exploded near the coast of Ireland, she confronts the unfathomable - one starting revelation at a time. Soon drawn into a maelstrom of publicity fueled by rumors that Jack led a secret life, Kathryn sets out to learn who her husband really was, whatever that knowledge might cost. Her search propels this taut, impassioned novel as it movingly explores the question, How well can we ever really know another person?

My Review

This book has been on my TBR pile for quite some time (at least a year), and I just never got around to reading it. Both my mom and aunt read it years ago and really enjoyed it, which is why I wanted to pick up a copy myself. Plus my fiance is currently training to get his pilot's license. He has his private license, but still has a ways to go before he can fly the large airliners. With that being said, I finally decided it was time to read this and get it off my TBR list!

I really enjoy Anita Shreve's writing; I think she is incredibly skilled and has a way with words unlike many others. I loved her book Eden Close, but didn't like Body Surfing as much, so I wasn't sure what to really expect with this one. It's gotten many good reviews though, so I figured it would probably be pretty good. And I really did enjoy reading this story. It wasn't what I was expecting in terms of the story line, but the story was still told really well. I sympathized with Kathryn and all that she had to endure; she lost her husband and on top of that has to battle rumors about his life. She then goes on a search to figure out what actually happened on the plane that fateful day.

I thought the story was very well put together, but it didn't speak to me the way another book of hers has. I was expecting it to completely consume me, but it didn't. Nevertheless, I still thought it was a great story and really enjoyed reading it.


No comments :

Post a Comment