Monday, October 13, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars Book-to-Movie Review


IMDB Info

Summary: Hazel and Gus are two teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on a journey. Their relationship is all the more miraculous given that Hazel's other constant companion is an oxygen tank, Gus jokes about his prosthetic leg, and they met and fell in love at a cancer support group.
Rating: 8.1/10
Time: 126 min 
Rated PG-13
Cast: 
Shailene Woodley as Hazel
Ansel Elgort as Gus
Nat Wolff as Isaac
Laura Dern as Frannie
Sam Trammell as Michael
Willem Dafoe as Van Houten

So, for those of you who read my review of The Fault in Our Stars, you probably know I liked it, but didn't think it was as amazing as everyone else hyped it up to be. I still definitely feel this way, but I wanted to see the movie anyways. I really like watching movies after I've read the book to see how other people interpret the book and to see it actually played out in a movie.

A lot of times, the movie isn't quite what I had in my head, and that's true for this movie as well. The actors, although great, weren't what I had pictured. But that doesn't mean I didn't like the movie, it's just different. I really like Shailene Woodley as an actress. I know some people don't for various reasons, but I do! I also think she's an interesting person; I've seen her appear on a few shows and she talks about her lifestyle. I think she played a great Hazel; she's shows Hazel's personality well and shows how cynical she is regarding the outlook of her life, how she's a grenade and is going to blow up and ruin people when she dies.

This character is complemented really well by Gus, played by Ansel Elgort, but he's not what I pictured Gus looking like! Still, he played the character well, showing Gus' playful and serious side. On a side note, I think it's awesome he and Woodley played brother and sister in Divergent! And Nat Wolff as Isaac was great! I loved Isaac's character and thought Wolff was perfect for the role. I know everyone is lusting after Elgort, but I personally think Wolff is better looking (:

Dern, Trammell and Dafoe were wonderful supporting actors in this movie. Van Houten is awful in both the book and movie, but he definitely adds a lot to the story! I often found myself just wanting to slap him and make him face the real world. Haha!

And I hate saying this, but I think I may have liked the movie better than the book...*gasp* Yes, I know. Everyone loves this book and says its SO amazing, but I just didn't feel that way about it, but I thought the movie was enjoyable. This rarely happens for me, but it's okay when it does. Although I didn't think the book was as amazing as everyone else said, I still thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm glad to have read it.

Read my review of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green here!

Have you seen the movie after reading the book? What did you think? I love hearing your thoughts! 

No comments :

Post a Comment