Wednesday, December 4, 2013

[Review] The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Publisher: Dutton Books
Publishing Date: Jan. 10, 2012
318 Pages
Format: hardcover, purchased

Synopsis

Despite the tumor-shrinking miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My Review

I'm so glad I finally bought a copy of this book! It's been on my TBR list for such a long time, and I've read so many good reviews about it. I was a little worried that this book wouldn't be as good as I was hoping, just because of how hyped up it was. But thankfully, it was amazing. However, it was much different than I was expecting it to be, though I don't really know if I can describe how what I thought it was going to be like. I loved the characters of Hazel, Augustus and Issac; I thought their relationships were written so well and felt genuine. I also loved that although they were all dealt crappy cards in life, there was so much humor in their friendship. Hazel really starts to open up and live a more full life when she meets Augustus. Its great for readers to realize that just one person can make such a huge difference in someone's life, regardless of their situation. I think we could all use a friend like Augustus; he showed Hazel that there is more to life than just waiting to die from a terminal illness. He got her to do things and think about the world in a different light.

I'm so happy that I read this book. I think John Green is a masterful storyteller, and this definitely won't be the only book of his that I read! I can't wait to go back to the bookstore and find his others (: I highly, highly recommend this to everyone. Its a quick read because it doesn't let you put it down, but its also a very emotional story, which left me with a few tears.

2 comments :

  1. I finally read this book a week or so ago. I really enjoyed it and I was worried I wouldn't because of all the hype. Now I can't say it was the best book I ever read but John Green does know how to write great story and great characters. I will be reading more books by him. Oh and I cried...just want to throw that out there. I was expecting what happened, I mean I knew but I didn't.

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt too. I really loved the book, but I think the hype may have ruined it just a little. For some reason, even though I loved it, I found myself a little disappointed. But I'm so glad I finally read it!

      Delete