Monday, January 27, 2014

[Review] Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Publishing Date: Aug 24, 2010
390 Pages
Format: hardcover, purchased
Purchase Links: Amazon





Synopsis 

Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans - except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future to Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost.

My Review

What to say about this book... Well, it kept my attention! I had tried to read this book so many times before, but I could never get past the first couple of pages. Then I went to see Catching Fire the other night with my fiance, and I decided I really wanted to find out what happens next! I'm happy it restored my want to finish the series! It actually kept my attention throughout the whole story, which I was really happy about.

I didn't think it was as good as the first book (why does this happen so often in series?!), but it was better than I was expecting it to be. Mostly I wanted to read it just to finish the series, but the further I got into the book, the more I wanted to read it because it was enjoyable. Katniss faces so many struggles throughout this book. What I really love is that she doesn't just breeze through them all. She actually has doubts about what she should do; she withdraws from people when she can't decide what's best for the people of Panen and her family. Things don't just come really easy to her. It makes Katniss as a character so much more easy to relate to. I'm not sure how I feel about the ending. It wasn't bad - it was actually a good ending. But who Katniss ends up being with (Gale v Peeta), is not what I expected, nor what I really wanted. But that's all I'll say about it (:

If you haven't read this series yet, or if you just haven't finished it, do so!!


Favorite Quote: 

"It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart." pg 156




  

No comments :

Post a Comment