Friday, August 14, 2015

Harry Potter Read-Along?


Last week I watched Magic Beyond Words: The JK Rowling Story on Netflix. My husband watched it at work one day and said it was pretty good, so I couldn't pass it up. I wasn't sure what to expect; I actually thought it was a documentary at first, but turned out not to be, which was ok! I thought the acting was pretty good and I really learned a lot about JK Rowling - even how to pronounce her last name, which sounds silly but apparently I've been saying it wrong for years! Haha

After that, I really wanted to reread all of the books. I feel like I know the first one pretty well, because I've read it so often, but I definitely haven't re-read the last few. And now I'd really like to! 


Is anyone interested in a read-along?

I'm thinking of reading one book a month or so. I still want to be able to read other books on my shelves, so I don't want to cram all 7 books into a short period of time. Plus I want to enjoy them all and not rush through. I thought it might be kind of fun to read along with someone else and be able to talk about it! Comment below if you're interested!

Now in Harry Potter spirit, here are some fun facts! 

JK Rowling never clarifies if Harry, Ron, and Hermoine ever return to finish their 7th year at Hogwarts. 

Rowling admits that Arthur Weasley was supposed to be killed in the 5th book, but instead exchanged him for someone else.

Lupin and Tonks were not originally going to be killed in the 7th book.

Dolores Umbridge’s mother was a muggle, her father a wizard, and her brother a squib.

Fred and George were born on April Fool’s Day.

Harry’s Birthday is July 31; so is Rowling’s.

Ron’s character originally swore a lot, but the publisher’s wouldn’t let Rowling use that language because it is inappropriate for young readers.

Only Alan Rickman, the actor who plays Snape, knew of his character’s fate before the Deathly Hallows was released because Rowling told him.

Contrary to popular belief, the ‘t’ at the end of Voldemort is silent. The name comes from the French words meaning “flight of death.”


Dementors represent depression and were based on Rowling’s struggle with the disease.

2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for sharing all those facts, there was a lot I didn't know! Just the other day I watched a marathon of the first five movies <3 they're so good. I hope you have fun re-reading the series! I don't think I have enough time for doing that now :(

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really fun facts and I had fun finding them! Not sure when I'll get around to re-reading them, but hopefully soon. Thanks for stopping by (:

      Delete