Friday, August 21, 2015

[Review] The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
Publisher: Riverhead Books
Publishing Date: Jan. 13, 2015
Format: purchased, hardcover
323 Pages
Links: Goodreads | Amazon | B&N
Goodreads rating: 5 stars

Synopsis 

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

My Review

I couldn't wait to pick up this book! I had a gift card to Barnes and Noble, and I couldn't pass up buying this one! I had heard so many good things and my aunt read it and loved it, so I needed to start it immediately. I've heard it compared to Gone Girl, and since I really enjoyed that book, I thought this one would be a good read as well. 

One of the first things I noticed about this book is the unreliable narrators. A few of the main characters are so unreliable, but at the same time, I really enjoyed reading from their point of views. Rachel is one of those unreliable narrators, and while there were times I was absolutely annoyed by her, there were other times I felt so bad for her! Same with Maggie; a little unreliable, but really enjoyed seeing the story through her eyes. 

I loved that the story was told from three women's perspectives. It was so interesting to watch the story unfold from these three women. They were each able to bring something different to the story and filled in a lot of gaps that would be there if told from one perspective only. I really didn't like Anna in the beginning of this book, but the more I heard from her, the more I liked her. And then at the very end of the book? Oh, loved her! 

There's so much going on in this book. I was constantly trying to figure out what happened, who did what, and where the story was going. There was a time I thought I had it figured out, but then everything changed again. It wasn't until pretty close to the end that I figured it out. But even then, there were a few moments that I thought that something else was going to happen, but it didn't. I like that I wasn't able to figure out everything that had happened. This book just kept me hooked and I couldn't put it down. I truly had a fun time reading this book and I'm anxious to see what else Ms. Hawkins will write! 

No comments :

Post a Comment