Saturday, June 15, 2013

Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts

Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts
Publisher: Warner Books
Publishing Date: 2004
ISBN13: 9780446695060
333 Pages


                      Synopsis 

In 1972, windswept DeClare, Oklahoma was consumed by a terrifying crime: the murder of a young mother, Gaylene Harjo, and the disappearance of her baby, Nicky Jack. When the child's pajama bottoms were discovered on the banks of Willow Creek, everyone feared that he, too, had been killed, although his body was never found.

Now, nearly thirty years laters, Nicky Jack mysteriously returns to DeClare, shocking the town with his sudden reappearance and stirring up long-buried memories. But what he discovers about the night he vanished is far more than he, or anyone, bargains for. Piece by piece, what emerges is a story of dashed hopes, desperate love, and an act with repercussions that still cry out for justice... and redemption.


                                                    My Review

This book is an interesting story, and I really enjoyed Ms. Letts writing style. Everything was described so well and I never felt that I was missing something. But I also never felt that there was too much detail and that it got boring at points; Ms. Letts found the perfect balance in her descriptions. When you start reading this, you immediately love Nicky Jack. He doesn't really know anything about his family and as he learns, you can see how much he wishes to have known them longer. The little bit of romance shocked me at first, as I'm sure it will for other readers. However, then I began rooting for them and I hoped the story would go a little more into detail about their relationship (but thats probably just the part of me that loves romance stories).

The book centers on Nicky Jack trying to find out what happened to his mother almost 30 years ago. The story plays out in a very interesting fashion. I never saw the end coming; it keeps you guessing until the very last pages. It really breaks your heart when you find out what happened and why; but I guess that's what makes it such a great story.


Buy on Amazon  Buy at Barnes and Nobles

No comments :

Post a Comment