Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Autism Awareness Month!



Hey everyone! For those of you who don't know Autism Awareness Month started yesterday so I thought I'd share a post about this! Within the last 6 months or so, my family has had the privilege to know a sweet little boy with Autism. He is the son of my brother's girlfriend. He's three years old and so incredibly cute. It took a little bit before he was introduced to our family, but now he makes a regular appearance at our house with his older sister whose five! We're all doing a walk at the beginning of May for Autism and I can't wait! I often feel like so many people don't really know what having Autism means. And I'll admit, I don't know a ton about it, though I have learned some in school from my psych minor and I've done a little research on my own. Plus, the show Parenthood has a boy with Asperger's on there and they kind of show how it affects every day living for families and kids with an Autism Spectrum Disorder. 

Before I knew my brother's girlfriend and her kids, I heard about the book The Reason I Jump by Naoki Higashida. I thought this book sounded incredibly fascinating and I read some good reviews about it, so I really wanted to get a copy. Then I started talking to A and she mentioned another book to read. It's called Carly's Voice by Arthur Fleischmann. She told me that she hasn't read either of these yet (she's in school, works and has two kids), but she mentioned she wanted to read The Reason I Jump because C jumps around a lot. Then she just texted me this morning about another book she was going to start reading, Love Anthony by Lisa Genova. She knows how much I love to read and thought these might interest. I have to say, I cannot wait to read these!! They sound very interesting and I'd love to learn a little bit more about Autism. 




Has anyone else read any of these books? 

No comments :

Post a Comment