Saturday, April 19, 2014

[Review] Sever by Lauren DeStefano

Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Series: The Chemical Garden, #3
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publishing Date: 2013
371 Pages
Format: hardcover, purchased
Buy Links

Synopsis 

With time ticking until the virus takes its toll, Rhine is desperate for answers.

After enduring Vaughn's worst, Rhine finds an unlikely ally in his brother, an eccentric inventor named Reed. She takes refuse in his dilapidated house, though the people she left behind refuse to stay in the past. While Gabriel haunts Rhine's memories, Cecily is determined to be at Rhine's side, even if Linden's feelings are still caught between them.

Meanwhile, Rowan's growing involvement in an underground resistance compels Rhine to reach him before he does something that cannot be undone. But what she discovers along the way has alarming implications for her future - and about the past her parents never had the chance to explain.

In this breathtaking conclusion to Lauren DeStefano's Chemical Garden Trilogy, everything Rhine knows to be true will be irrevocably shattered.

My Review

Yay! I finally finished this series and found out what happens to everyone! I have to say that this book surprised me! I wasn't sure what to expect and what would happen to everyone. Some parts are definitely a little sad, but others are very happy. I really loved Reed! I thought his character was great; he's so loving even though he tries to act all tough and withdrawn. Deep down, you can see how much he cares about Linden, Rhine, Cecily and Bowen. He's very a very quirky and fun character.

Without giving away spoilers, Vaughn surprised me a lot, and so did Rowan. The story took a different twist that I imagined, but I'm very happy it turned out the way it did! Throughout the whole story we can feel Rhine struggle with the way her life has played out so far, but we also feel the hope that she holds onto, even if she tries to deny it. All the characters in the book seem to have so much hope in what the future could bring, but are so uncertain of how things would change.

This was a very unique trilogy, unlike so much that I've read. Sure, it had dystopian themes of trying to create a perfect world, but the ramifications of those actions are so different. The fact that a virus kills of young adults when they're 20 and 25 is so crazy to think about! I would definitely recommend this series! Plus the covers of these books are just gorgeous; it's what caught my eye first!

No comments :

Post a Comment