Publisher: GillianFX Publishing, LLC
Publishing Date: December 3, 2013
Series: Family Portrait, Vol. 2
Format: review copy, e-book
I was recently asked to review the first volume in Family Portraits: Changes. You can see my review of this book here. Ms. Felix then asked if I would like to review the second volume in the Family Portraits novels: The Banovic Siblings.
I really enjoyed the first volume of this series by Ms Felix, and was happy to read the second. I really wanted to find out what happened with these characters, and learn more about them. Each character is so different from the others, and they each have their own little story throughout the book. I was happy to start figuring out how each character and story was connected to the other. A few other characters were introduced in this volume, with small roles, but I was still intrigued by what they added to the story. In a way, it reminds me of the show 90210 with all the different characters and love triangles that seem to be forming. I was hooked on that show, and I can only imagine how this series will play out! If you're looking for a fun, quick read, then I suggest checking out this series!
Fun Facts about Changes (Family Portrait, Vol 1)
- Writing Adriana’s character was fun and challenging because she is such a minx. It’s tricky because she shares the leading role with Leighann, who is sweet, and kind—they are polar opposites of each other. They both grew up in the entertainment industry but that’s about all they have in common. Adriana makes no apologies for who she is, she is reckless and wild and I’m sure some readers will hate her. It is only later on in the series you get to really see why she is the way she is.
- Even though Leighann was a bigger star than Adriana, she was more protected by her mother. Savi may have her ways, but she shielded Leighann from a lot of the outside world. So when Leighann defies her and ventures out into the ‘real world’, she begins to see how scary things can get.
- Leighann’s fascination with the ‘real world’ is based on the fact that she has never had a ‘normal’ life. She sits in the tour bus and looks at the fans through the one way glass and thinks that their life is so easy, and she longs for that. She wants to meet a boy, go to the movies, and do things normal teenagers do.
- Westwood Academy of Higher Learning is a super school on steroids as one reviewer described it: “we mustn't forget the whole larger-than-life high school scene on steroids in a world where appearances often mean more than substance”
The school is high tech and ridiculously over the top with chef catered lunches, marble floors, digital lockers, Jacuzzi. Seriously, I’d want to go to that school. How does any body get any studying done?
- Astrid Wilson is the Kim Kardashian of Westwood Academy. She decks out in Prada and all the latest designs by the hottest designers. No body can throw a hissy fit like Astrid. When Adriana returns to Westwood Academy, Astrid’s status is threatened especially where her boyfriend Warren is concerned.
- Family Portrait is based on a television series I had written. The script got lots of interest in Hollywood but nothing came of it, so I decided to turn it into a book series. I have two seasons, 24 episodes of the television series already written.
- Book two combines a couple episodes from the script. Changes Vol. 1 is equivalent to the pilot episode—it introduces the audience to the characters. The script for television was meant for prime time so I had to tone it down—a lot. The book is the raw version—drug use, foul language, sexual situations. The characters can get away with a lot more in the book than they could on screen, which is good for Adriana and her brother, Kevin’s character, because later in the series they really get naughty.
- Right now I am working on Vol. 2 called The Banovic Siblings. In this book the siblings mostly Adriana and Kevin’s past catches up with them and their secrets are getting too close to home. Love triangles and tangles start to form with some of the supporting characters. Leighann’s character starts evolving, her sister L’Wren has a very powerful and emotional storyline which took a lot out of me to write. It really made me ‘go there’ which stretches me as a writer. Book two is a bit darker than Changes.
I think Vol. 2 may be available in November or December, 2013. It still has the whole process to go through with the story editor, the proofreader and the cover still has to be designed. I usually write like a fiend at night—Sunday through Thursday sometimes Friday nights.
- On the Facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/
Thanks for having me. Purchase a copy of Changes Vol. 1 (Family Portrait) here. (: http://www.amazon.com/dp/
About the Author
Gillian Felix has been writing since she was old enough to hold a pencil. She enjoys creating characters that could be your next-door neighbor, but would you want them as your neighbor is another story.
Originally from the island of Trinidad and Tobago, Miss Felix moved to the United States in 1998. Since then she has been involved in the entertainment industry for over fifteen years. Her experience ranges from script supervisor to production manager on many independent features. She is trained in the Meisner and Stanislavski technique of acting, which she credits as an asset to her character development and writing.
Miss Felix is an entrepreneur and advocate for children’s and women’s rights.
Connect with Ms. Felix!
View book trailer: http://youtu.be/EiBdwhT74NA
Facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/