Sunday, December 14, 2014

[Review] Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Album

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Album 
Publisher: Warner
Publishing Date: 2000
Format: paperback, purchased
194 Pages
Links: Goodreads | AmazonB&N

Synopsis 

Maybe it was a grandparent, or a teacher or a colleague. Someone older, patient and wise, who understood you when you were young and searching, and gave you sound advice to help you make your way through it. For Mitch Albom, that person was Morrie Schwartz, his college professor from nearly 20 years ago. Maybe, like Mitch, you lost track of this mentor as you made your way, and the insights faded. Wouldn't you like to see that person again, ask the bigger questions that still haunt you? Mitch Albom had that second chance. He rediscovered Morrie in the last months of the older man's life. Knowing he was dying of ALS - or motor neurone disease - Morrie visited Mitch in his study every Tuesday, just as they used to back in college. Their rekindled relationship turned into one final class: lessons in how to live. This is a chronicle of their time together, through which Mitch shares Morrie's lasting gift with the world.

My Review

This is another book that I've had sitting on my shelf for quite a while, and since I'm trying really hard to read old TBR books, I figured this was a good time to start this one! I've previously read The Time Keeper and Five People You Meet in Heaven, and really enjoyed them both, so I figured I would like this one just as much. I've also hears about many people who've read this book and liked it! So I had kind of high expectations for this book. Unfortunately, it didn't quite meet those expectations for me. I found myself getting a little annoyed with Mitch and Morrie, which sounds awful since Morrie is dying. But this story didn't seem real to me. I have never known anyone to be so positive and have so many inspirational things to say. Sure, I know my fair share of people who have a really good outlook on life, and I try to be one of those people as well. But it seemed like everything that came out of Morrie's mouth was an inspirational lesson. I agree with many things that were said in this book and think many of the 'lessons' can be true for a lot of people. I feel like it's a bad reason to not like a book simply because everything that was said seemed so inspirational, but it didn't resonate with me; it felt fake. Now, by no means am I saying this was a bad book or that I hated it, because that's not true. I'm glad I read it, but this just isn't a book for me. And I'm disappointed because I really did have high hopes and I really liked Five People You Meet in Heaven. I know there are a ton of people out there who loved this book, and I think that's great, it just wasn't for me. 

No comments :

Post a Comment