Tuesday, December 3, 2013

[Review] I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler

I'm Not Her by Janet Gurtler
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publishing Date: May 1, 2011
285 Pages
Format: Kindle ebook, free on Amazon

Synopsis

Tess is the exact opposite of her beautiful, athletic sister. And that's okay. Kristina is the sporty one, Tess is the smart one, and they each have their place. Until Kristina is diagnosed with cancer. Suddenly Tess is the center of the popular crowd, everyone eager for updates. There are senior boys flirting with her. Yet the smiles of her picture-perfect family are cracking and her sister could be dying. Now Tess has to fill a new role: the strong one. Because if she doesn't hold it together, who will?

My Review

This is the first book I've read by Janet Gurtler, and I don't think it will be my last! I enjoyed this story. I thought Tess was a very well-rounded character; one the outside, she was the backbone for her family, but on the inside, she was struggling with her sister's illness. We watch her grow up a little throughout this story and find her place within her family and at school. I also really liked Kristina; in the beginning I wasn't sure if I would, but we watch her grow and struggle throughout the story as well. The issues that were tackled in this book were very emotional, specifically the diagnosis of cancer to a young teenager. It's difficult when anyone is diagnosed with it, but when its someone so young, it just seems that much harder. I thought the author did a pretty good job with these issues and describing the struggles that not only the patient goes through, but those around her as well.


No comments :

Post a Comment